Hi, welcome to the personal website of Dr Xuxin Mao (毛旭新)
I am an economist applying econometrics and big data analytics, associated with NIESR, LSE and ONS. For the past two decades, I have studied economics, finance and mathematics in China, EU and UK, and worked across industries and countries as UNHCR volunteer, academic researcher, certified Financial Risk Manager (FRM), investment banker, and Big Data forecaster.
Equipped with skills in economics and finance, statistical analysis, text mining and Big Data analytics, I have developed an innovative Topic Retrieved, Uncovered and Structurally Tested (TRUST) framework for Big Data analysis and trend prediction in business and social sciences. My research has been funded by various grants, and presented at international meetings, featured four times on BBC Scotland 2015, covered by the Times, Guardian, Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, etc., and on a trajectory of publishing in 3* or 4* journals. You are highly welcome to contact me for interdisciplinary research collaborations, or business setups in consultancy, marketing and investment.
I run/walk to work everyday whenever weather permits, which is great for the environment and my health (I have not seen my GP for nearly 4 years :-). I was the 5K race champion of my high school for three continuous years and leader of the Renmin University of China Trail Orienteering Team (Ranked No. 5 among 81 professional teams in Beijing in 2002).
Principal Economist, National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR), 06/2019-Present
- Leads on several concurrent research projects in macroeconometric modelling forecasting, Big Data and AI, international financial markets, real estate and construction, productivity and measurement
- Designs and carries out research and mentors/supervises junior economists.
- Supports in cultivating external networks/future sources of funding and collaborates in developing research proposals and delivering successful projects.
Research Associate, Economic Statistics Centre of Excellence, Office for National Statistics (ONS), 01/2020 – Present
- Review of CPI outlier detection practices of national statistical institutions
- Develop AI based outlier detection methodologies for alternative price data sources
Visiting Fellow in Big Data and EU Economy, London School of Economics, 10/2018 - Present
- Build global economic and EU political risk indicators
- Develop natural language processing tools accessing structural changes of UK & EU economies
Steering Group Member on Big Data and Economic Indices, ONS, UK, 07/2016-12/2019
- Conducted natural language processing tasks on macroeconomic and political trends
- Improved construction output price index to Official statistics with leading industry experts and ONS economists
Co-Founder, E-Care Tech Ltd, London, UK, 03/2017-02/2019
- Generated business plan, financial modelling and projection for the innovative healthcare startup
- Won the first prize in the UK OTEC Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition in 2017
- Won the second prize in the 2018 Global Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition, Shenzhen
- Secured £ 1 million plus venture capital for two years from 07/2018
Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Economics, the Bartlett, University College London, London, UK, 10/2016-09/2018
- Managed £0.16 million projects on Big Data macroeconomic index modelling and forecasting, which generated a £1 million plus project, industrial impact, and collaborations with ONS and BOJ.
- Developed external relationships in the UK (ONS, HM Treasury) and worldwide (Asian Development Bank, Bank of Japan, etc.), and organised international visits, seminars & conferences
- Supervised 3 PhD students & 20 MSc students, and led 3 modules as Deputy Program Director
Research Project Lead, L’Institut Europlace de Finance, Paris, France, 04/2006-03/2017
Funded by Université Paris-Dauphine and Groupama, I lead and conduct a financial research project entitled “Modelling and Forecasting Life Insurance Demand: A Big Data Approach within the TRUST Framework” between 1 April 2016 and 31 March 2017.
Research Associate (Grade 7), the Bartlett, University College London, London, UK, 08/2015-10/2016
Developed a Robust Prediction Methodology Based on Big Data Analytics, Data Mining, and Structural Econometric Models with Prof. Michelle Baddeley
Economic Forecasts Developer, Business Economics Department, AECOM, London, UK, 08/2015-04/2016
Built Forecasting Capability within AECOM's Consultancy with Dr David Crosthwaite
Teaching Assistant in Econometrics and Finance, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK, 09/2012-07/2013
Taught Modelling and Forecasting Financial Markets for 120 MSc students (Evaluation: Excellent)
Research Economist, Investment Department, United Overseas Bank, Beijing, China, 09/2008-11/2010
After Training of MPhil Econometrics Track Courses at the Tinbergen Institute, I Analysed Accounting Reports and Provided Risk-Managed Global Macro Trading Strategies for the Premier Asian Bank. Under the Noted Chinese Economist Dr. HUA Sheng, I also Conducted Research on Chinese Economy (Rural-Urban Income Inequality, Urbanisation and Real Estate).
Research Assistant in Economics, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark, 02/2006-08/2006
Modelling Foreign Exchange Intervention Data and Typesetting Prof. Katarina Juselius’s Book
Volunteer Coordinator, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Beijing, China, 09/2002-08/2003
Coordinated the UNHCR Public Awareness Programme with Volunteer Activities at Chinese Universities
CMI Level 5 in Management and Leadership - Certified by Innovate UK, 02/2016-Present
Financial Risk Manager - Certified by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, 12/2014-Present
Certified Futures Analyst - Certified by the China Futures Association, 06/2010-Present
Certified Securities Analyst - Certified by the China Securities Industry Association, 11/2009-Present
Matlab and R for Numerical Analysis
Eviews, OxMetrics, STATA, and WinRATS for Statistical and Econometric Analysis
Python for Text & Graph Mining and Big Data Analytics Using the Latent Dirichlet Allocation Methodology
PhD in Finance, Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow, UK, 12/2010-06/2015
Fully Funded by the Scottish Funding Council and Supervised by Professor Ronald MacDonald
Research on international finance, applied macroeconometrics, text mining and big data analytics
Analysed social media and predicted the Scottish referendum and UK elections using Big Data techniques, featured on BBC, Daily Telegraph, and Guardian
Fully Funded Postgraduate Studies in Economics, Econometrics, Finance and Mathematics in EU, 09/2004-08/2008
MSc in Economics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 09/2004- 08/2006;
MSc in Applied Mathematics for Finance, University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, 09/2006-02/2007;
MSc in Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University, Germany, 02/2007-08/2008.
BA in Economics, Renmin University of China, Beijing, China, 09/2000-07/2004
Top 5% Graduate With Scholarships for Academic Excellence, Excellent Youth Volunteers and Student Leaders
Leader of the University Trail Orienteering Team (Ranked No. 5 in Beijing in 2002)
Leader of International Student Volunteers in Beijing (2000-2003) and Part-Time UNHCR Coordinator (2002-2003)
Languages: Chinese (Native), English (Fluent), German (Intermediate), and French (Basic)
Prof. Katarina Juselius Prof. Ronald MacDonald Prof. Michelle Baddeley Dr Hande Kucuk
University of Copenhagen University of Glasgow University College London National Institute of Economic and Social Research email@example.com Ronald.MacDonald@glasgow.ac.uk firstname.lastname@example.org H.Kucuk@niesr.ac.uk
+45 35323068 +44 (0)141 330 1988